Metropolisfitness- Fitness and Health Blog
Metropolis fitness and Spa are passionate about health and fitness for all.
Benefits of a High-Protein Breakfast
Most people are aware of the fact that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. However, as per a new research, the higher the protein content in the breakfast, the better it is for those who are trying to lose weight. A study was conducted on 20 overweight females in the age group of 18 to 20 to determine which out of the two was more beneficial for an optimum healthy lifestyle – a high protein breakfast or a normal protein breakfast. The participants in the study had the habit of skipping breakfast, which is quite a common habit among 60% of young Americans. For six continuous days, the participants were given the following 350-calorie meals:
- A cereal-based breakfast with 13 grams of protein
- An egg and beef breakfast with 35 grams of protein
- No breakfast at all.
The participants were asked to fill a questionnaire everyday and their blood samples were collected for each day. They also went through MRIs before dinner so that their brain signals associated with food desires could be tracked. The following results were deduced:
1. Consuming breakfast instead of skipping it reduced the desire for food throughout the day.
2. Eating high-protein breakfast showed the best results. Consumption of high proteins in the morning resulted in longer feelings of fullness.
3. Also, the protein-heavy meals decreased the cravings for fatty and sugary foods of the participants at night.
4. A high-protein breakfast (Greek yogurt, egg-based waffles, beef sausage, tofu, sprouts, nuts, etc.), in addition, changed the brain signals that control food motivation and reward-driven eating habits.
From the above results, it can be concluded that a high-protein breakfast is an effective strategy to prevent overeating and to improve the overall diet quality by replacing unhealthy snacks with high-quality breakfast foods.
If you still haven’t started eating breakfast, it’s high time to start enjoying the most important meal of the day for your best health.